The mock exam was the prime time to make a concluding piece to draw a close to the coursework side of the subject. I knew when I started the piece that it would need to sum up my coursework and personal study. The idea that ran through all of my previous work, needed to shine through in this piece.
I began by taking the 3 main artists from my personal study and drawing up what they had in common and their differences and looking at the ideas that ran through their work. All of them looked at consumerism and the commercialism that swept its way through the world - how through advertising people wanted and felt the need to buy and consume pointless, expensive products, all for social status. This omnipresent theme brought up the idea of how the consumerism and what you could afford to buy, has created massive social groups within society. This then promoted me to try and think of a piece that would show off these social classes and their differences.
As for the media that my work would be produced in, I decided that I would try a projection (as the mock exam is about trying things out for the main exam). I felt that by setting myself this challenge, it would make my work a lot more evolved in the sense that I would not only need to think about the content of the work itself, but would also need to think of the way it would be displayed.
As for my work. I feel that the idea could have been portrayed in a much stronger way. I think that by setting myself 3 individual projections to produce, pushed me a bit for time. I feel like I focused too much on projection 3 than I did on either of the other two. I feel like this in-balance between the 3 is evident and I am not happy with that - therefor, when it comes to the actual exam, I will know to keep it to one or two products, being produced at a much higher quality. I think that the animation and the video are the stinger of the 3. I feel like the animation clearly shows that something is being lost and that in the end, they are left with nothing. I also feel like the dark, atmospheric feeling created in the video successfully shows off the rich, adventurous lifestyle that is on the other end of the scale. Unlike these two - I feel like the pop art style photo is not as clear as it could have been. I think that people would have to real engage with it and be fully understanding of the piece as a whole, to be able to decode this piece - that the phone is the modern day commercial item that has stormed the market.
For the presentation, I think that by displaying the projections onto cars is a good way to fully tie in the piece with my running work and theme. I also feel that the car plays a huge part in a person's lifestyle and it can denote their social status to a tee. Therefore, the car idea brings together the whole idea making it solid and understandable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment