I Went On The Internet (And Saw Something In A Book)



Over the weekend, I have stumbled across a few pieces of work that I have really enjoyed and have taken inspiration from.

The first piece I found, is an amazingly clever animation. The animation was created by Forza Filmspeed and the awesomeness can be summed up in one sentence: "In the process of creating this amazing short film, we also created the world’s fastest camera car, the world’s fastest zoetrope". 
That in itself is quite a broad statement, however, I feel the animation does in fact make up for it. 

In summary, the animation is a one huge zoetrope. The individual frames have been placed around the track and a car with a mounted camera drives round and the individual frames become the animation - sound easy? I think not! 





When you think about it, this animation is a lot more complex than it appears. The combination of getting the speed of the vehicle right, matched with the camera angle, direction and exposure.

These videos explain the more technical side of the animation..









Although I could never make a piece of animation as advanced as this (seeing as I don't have a race track on hand or 300k worth of camera gear) I can still gain inspiration and ideas from it. The general principle of the zoetrope animation is something, normally, I would never consider as you don't associate a zoetrope and cars - this video has really broadened my mindset.

More tailored to my theme, I was looking through the 2009/10 Frieze Art Fair book and found out that BMW are one of the official sponsors for the fair. As I have never been, whether or not they will have an installation is a different question. However, I Stumbled upon a very interesting advert of theirs in the book.




















The advert itself is nothing special, however, when I looked into the advert I found a video to accompany the picture.




Artist Robin Rhode's set up a huge canvas and then placed paint on the wheels of the car and it then drove round the canvas going in every which way direction, resulting in one messy canvas.
"Imagine a canvas nearly as large as a football field. On it bold, swirling shapes in primary colors like red, yellow and blue. As the eye uncovers the rhythm of the lines, curves, circles and color splotches, something else is revealed: these forms must have been created by tire treads! A work of art like no other, created by an artist like no other" 
The idea of the lines drawing the viewer's eyes is similar to the leading lines principle with photographs. This piece has also made me begin to think of the different ideas that I could do in my future work. 


Sources: 
http://jalopnik.com/5118941/2010-bmw-z4-plays-with-paint-in-massive-art-piece
http://forzamotorsport.net/en-US/news/Forza_FilmSpeed


0 comments:

Post a Comment