With symbolism being an extremely open and vast topic, I need to whittle it down and decide on my own study. My building blocks for this question is simply - what do I enjoy? and what will I enjoy studying?
Being a keen motorist and lover of the automobile and, of course, a lover of photography, I really want my personal study to have both these element incorporated into it - even if it is boiled down to focusing on anything in the motoring industry.
My proposal however (or my first idea in a sense), is to explore the question 'How has the automobile played a role in the evolution of photography and society?'
I think that this question is extremely different, and most probably, something like this has never been studied before. Yes, it will be a hard question to answer, but I believe that my passion for the automobile with keep me motivated throughout. To answer the question I aim to look at a number of key points. I want to look at key events in history and how the automobile has always played a part. Some areas will be mainly focused on an event based around automobiles. For example, there are a number of great pictures of Steve McQueen in a number of different cars. Famous pictures which show the history and evolution of Formula One - including crucial events such as the death of Ayrton Senna. Also I can look how the car has been a style icon for celebrities throughout history and the status of the car. More recently, a good study could be the influx of Middle Eastern hypercars that have 'invaded' the streets of London and the press that have caused. As well as cars, I aim too look at other automobiles such as trains and planes - which opens up my study to even more historical events such as the terrorists attacks in New York and London.
As of yet, I do not have a full collection of artists, but I do however have a couple of key artists (relating to cars) that I wish to write about and analyse. Reinfried Marass, an Austrian photographer born in 1960, has a vast portfolio of photos related to the automobile. What I love about Marass is the fact that his pictures are all so crisp and his variation of depth of field creates very edgy and atmospheric shots. I also particularly like the monochrome theme that runs through his work. The lack of color makes the photos feel cold and lifeless. However, he then has the ability to go at take a picture of a lovely lady sat in the car, and he can make it appear so warm and friendly. The fact he has this vast contrast makes me love his photos deeply. Another artist who is of an interest to me is 1950's American photographer John Vachon. Again, he has a mixture of monochrome and polychrome images, however, his landscape shots of the streets of America really portray the history of the states and I think he will be key when I look at the how the automobile has evolved with society and photography.
Looking at these artists (and many more) I will gain a whole collection of skills that I will be able to use to my advantage. I already have a fairly large portfolio of my own automobile photographs, and by studying these different artists, I will be able to increase my skill knowledge not only in my artistic eye but my camera skills.
I will link my my London trips to my theme by looking at the life of a London 'car spotter' and trying my it myself - trying to capture my own professional images and adding to my portfolio. I will also look in different art shows/galleries/exhibitions for different pieces of work that are related to my theme.
I think that this question is extremely different, and most probably, something like this has never been studied before. Yes, it will be a hard question to answer, but I believe that my passion for the automobile with keep me motivated throughout. To answer the question I aim to look at a number of key points. I want to look at key events in history and how the automobile has always played a part. Some areas will be mainly focused on an event based around automobiles. For example, there are a number of great pictures of Steve McQueen in a number of different cars. Famous pictures which show the history and evolution of Formula One - including crucial events such as the death of Ayrton Senna. Also I can look how the car has been a style icon for celebrities throughout history and the status of the car. More recently, a good study could be the influx of Middle Eastern hypercars that have 'invaded' the streets of London and the press that have caused. As well as cars, I aim too look at other automobiles such as trains and planes - which opens up my study to even more historical events such as the terrorists attacks in New York and London.
As of yet, I do not have a full collection of artists, but I do however have a couple of key artists (relating to cars) that I wish to write about and analyse. Reinfried Marass, an Austrian photographer born in 1960, has a vast portfolio of photos related to the automobile. What I love about Marass is the fact that his pictures are all so crisp and his variation of depth of field creates very edgy and atmospheric shots. I also particularly like the monochrome theme that runs through his work. The lack of color makes the photos feel cold and lifeless. However, he then has the ability to go at take a picture of a lovely lady sat in the car, and he can make it appear so warm and friendly. The fact he has this vast contrast makes me love his photos deeply. Another artist who is of an interest to me is 1950's American photographer John Vachon. Again, he has a mixture of monochrome and polychrome images, however, his landscape shots of the streets of America really portray the history of the states and I think he will be key when I look at the how the automobile has evolved with society and photography.
Looking at these artists (and many more) I will gain a whole collection of skills that I will be able to use to my advantage. I already have a fairly large portfolio of my own automobile photographs, and by studying these different artists, I will be able to increase my skill knowledge not only in my artistic eye but my camera skills.
I will link my my London trips to my theme by looking at the life of a London 'car spotter' and trying my it myself - trying to capture my own professional images and adding to my portfolio. I will also look in different art shows/galleries/exhibitions for different pieces of work that are related to my theme.


0 comments:
Post a Comment