Bresson was known for his lack of color in his photography. Some criticise him for it, whilst others commend him for it. I, for one, find Bressons photography truly inspirational and revolutionary.
The photo I have chosen to analyse is 'Brooklyn. 2nd Avenue. A café.'
Immediately the viewers eyes are drawn to the variations of focus that play host to a chaotic table. The blurred foreground and background however, draw a high level of importance onto the male figure seen in the photograph. With his face hidden, we lack the emotion that he would be showing, yet due to his head being on the table and the mess in front of him, it is clear to connote that he is drained emotionally and physically and is feeling extremely low. At the time in 1940's America (1947 particulary), the second world war had just finished and the public would have been looking for work and to get their lives back on track.
The lighting of this photograph is key. The photo has a gradual gradient pattern which again draws attention to the figure. (Lightest part being foreground then gradually reaching its darkest point in the background)
Personally, I think this photo really captures how I feel a majority of Americans would have been feeling at that time and shows the lack of hope that the country had and the general depressed feelings amongst New Yorkers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment